Sunday, June 17, 2012

Charity: Make an Investment That Might Just Come Back to You


Though my dad invested some money in mutual funds for me while I was at college, not everyone can afford to play the stock market.  There are more ways of investing than stock, gold, and bond, etcetera, and one of those ways is putting some money in the charity box.  Really, no amount is too give, even a penny.  For example, if I remember correctly pennies are more expensive to make than dollars.  In fact, a penny costs more to make than the penny is currently worth, and though that is unfortunate, pennies have value.
Lately, I have been trying to teach my son about how to invest.  The type of investment I suggested that he make is via a charity box.
When one attends a Cape League game, he or she does not have to pay anything, but there is a suggested donation.  Yesterday, I got the money that I had set aside for donating to the team, the Bourne Braves, especially as a thank you for playing.  These are college players that technically aren’t receiving a check for playing ball.  It makes sense to invest in these players.  In fact, there are several Bourne Braves players on major league rosters according to this year’s booklet.  Donating a few pennies to this cause has the potential to have a return of millions of dollars.  Many of the players end up playing minor league ball after playing in the Cape League, where they serve as role models for our country which needs health role models.  Many of these players become Big Brothers.  By putting some money into the charity box, I know that if I give, it eventually comes back to me, such that I wanted the same for my son.
Before the game I scrounged up some change to give to my son Alex.  I told him that since he is a good boy and that I receive blessing from having him as a son, this was money that he had earned.  I gave him the money, and told him that he had the choice; he could either put the money in the charity box or keep it.  However, I did advise him to put the money in the charity box.  Though he was only 4yrs old, he was looking to put the money into the red bucket, but he couldn’t reach because he wasn’t tall enough.  So, I said to my son such that the people at the gate could hear, “Would you like to make a donation?”  Then, the bucket was lowered, such that he could put some money in, and at the same time possibly making money that may pay him dividends in some way.  He is well behaved, intelligent, good looking, and in so many ways he makes me proud to be a father, as I am typing this document on Father’s Day, such that he deserves to be able to make an investment.  I believe in Gd not money.  However, money is one way one can make an investment, especially if your ability to give is limited.  My belief in Gd causes me to believe that one investment is like any other investment, such that if one gives, then he or she may receive future dividends.
Secondly, I offered Alex another chance to give money today.  We don’t have a lot of money, but in my opinion, even if you can part with a penny and put it in a charity box, then you are making an investment.  I told him that I was going to McDonald’s Restaurant, and that Alex’s grandparents had given me some money for being a father.  I told Alex, that some of this money was his, and that he had earned it simply by being my son.  I told him that I was going to give some money to charity at McDonald’s when I bought a soda, and that if he wanted I could put $0.50 in the charity box for him if he wanted me to.  He seemed to think that that was a good idea, telling me that he wanted for me to donate the money instead of keeping it for himself.  Again, since at this time he is only 4yrs old, I advised him as a parent that this is a good idea.
In addition, another way that Alex can benefit is through me writing this blog, and that through Alex, I might be able to help people remember to give to charity if they can, or at least help people that might read this through explaining that giving to charity if often in one’s best interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment