Saturday, June 9, 2012

1st Craig – My Comments to “Why Is It So Difficult to Convert to Judaism?”




Ger vs. Bnei Isreal an "Ism" unto Itself
Trying to ascertain the Talmudic castes: whether or not someone is a goi, a ger, bnei Israel, or a Cohen is a "Ism" unto itself. I imagine many mistakes are made. It would make more sense to simply answer the question, "Who is a Jew?" with "One that says they are a Jew." That is the position Felix Posen took at Jpost.com (Aug 13, 2009). So much time is spent on, "Who is a Jew?" a matter of birth rather than ethic. I would suggest that if more time was spent on ethic, Bnei Noach would walk out the door, and no mistakes would be made ascertaining, "Who is a Jew?" 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich


Posted: Aug 26, 2009
Israel: Orthodox and Reform
What is Orthodox, but taking religion and history more seriously than another denomination? Every Jew should study Orthodox Judaism. In the manner of study, I believe Orthodox Judaism is better, but I don't believe it is practical that a minority of Jews should be able claim monopoly on conversion. This hypocrisy becomes apparent in the Law of Return for Israeli citizenship that accepts Reform conversions, as Orthodox Jews deny them at the synagogue. Good enough to be Israeli, but not good enough to be Orthodox is a contradiction. It follows that Israeli law is for practice, but Orthodox law is for study. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich
Quasi-Jewish Is Not a Lie
All the indicators say that there is such a thing as quasi-Jewish, only the Orthodox minority denominations have the audacity to say quasi-Jewish is a lie. Gentiles commonly circumcise their young, and perform other Jewish mitzvahs. The 613 and the rabbinical commands are kosher for anyone, and it is hardly a tragedy if a gentile doesn’t properly perform a Jewish mitzvah. In the melting pot of America, Judaism is no longer as separate from other nations as it has been. Jews that don’t recognize “quasi-Jewish (more than Noah tzedeks)” are hijacking Judaism. Of course Jewish and Jewishness can exist as they have, but quasi-Jewish should be accepted for those people that feel a strong association with the Jewish tribe, but haven't been in the mikvah. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA
One thing that doesn't sit well with me is that the Torah is bigoted to gentiles. For example, there is the Law to feed or sell something that dies of itself to a gentile. To me it wouldn't make any sense for me to eat that, as I keep kosher as much as possible. It does not bother me that this I do this of my own will and that it is not something that G-d ordained. I am not alone either, masses of people think like me, but don't use the word. For example, many people would support humane slaughter of meat if they knew that is part of what kosher means. 2. Personally, its not fun study for me to study as Bnei Noach, as if I should find joy knowing that as a gentile I need not be set free from slavery by the Torah. If that's not bigotry I don't know what is! On the other hand, I don't believe immersing in the mikvah will help me become a more ethical person. Yet, I study Judaism because there is so much good ethics! I hope not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. 
Religious Vote
Becoming Jewish should be like voter registration, quick and easy. I happen to be a Democrat. It wouldn't make me a better, more loyal, or more dedicated Democrat if the law made it harder to become a Democrat. The only thing that would happen is that there would be fewer Democrats, since it would be especially hard to register to this party. You probably even lose pro Jewish people this way. In my opinion, it just creates more confusion when people aren't able to join the political party or religion of their choice easily. Everytime a Rabbi tells me that I am not a Jew, I feel as if I, a Democrat, were handed the Republican primary ticket, and denied my proper chance to vote in the primary of my choice. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA
What's with downplaying key Democrats?
What good is a brain without any muscle? Jews need both. I agree that their is no smart choice in politics, but yet some really smart people have been Democrats, and in fact this makes joining the Democratic Party a good idea. Bill Clinton's IQ is over 160. People here are arguing as if Bill Clinton's intelligence or even still others that the condition of his heart is related to the difficulty his conversion to the Democratic Party. Jewishness shouldn't be an issue of brains, soul, or muscle, but a combination of these things. I hate to speak ill of Stephen Hawking, but for all his supposed brains he has not much when he contradicts himself and certainly he could certainly use some muscle. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA

Posted: Sep 28, 2010
Elite Earthworms
Some people say that converts blow away Jews by birth in observance. That is a horrible tone. However, the Talmud does say, “How much more sincere the heart of the convert?” A convert should feel connected to the Jewish people, not better. Also, converts should expect some exclusion because most Jews are cousins. We tend to be more altruistic toward people with similar genetics. Read the Richard Dawkins book The Selfish Gene. Oppression would give you a whole new perspective. Moses was the most oppressed prophet, and that helped him to be compassionate even toward animals. If you believe Jews are elite, or that converts are better, you should compare your ideas to that of the Baal Shem Tov. He taught humans were no greater than worms. Biology tells us that our ancient ancestors were worms. Jewishness is not about belonging to an elite group. Read Habakkuk 2:4, and see how puffed up some of these commentators are. How foolish is an idea of elite earthworms? 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA
Why would anyone want to convert?
As the number of laws given in the Torah increases, the average life expectancy of a patriarch goes down. And, before you get on your high horse and knock the age of people like Methusaleh or Serug as being mystical or something like that, understand that there are people that today live to be the ages of the patriarchs in the Bible and especially how absurd this would probably seem to someone living in the Dark Ages whose life expectancy was only 25. That the ages we attain in modernity are possible is yet another example (like the technological revolution) that we are sampling the soup prior to the age of Mosiach. In fact, I read the other day that a baby born today has a 50% chance of living to be 100yrs old. That is to the person in the Middle/Dark ages the ages we attain now would have seemed as mystical to them as the ages given when reading the Bible. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA


Righteous gentile doesn't sit well with me. I love the Torah for the most part, but parts of it don't sit well with me. To me this makes me quasi-Jewish because I never sealed the deal and I have no plan to.
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA
1. That's interesting that you deny quasi, as if G-d never created a hermaphrodite or something similar. Why can't quasi be a level? For me, quasi or shades of grey is how I see most things. Take for instance chemicals in chemistry, all have a purity rating. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA
I disagree that the idea of quasi has to become one thing or another and that it is the anti-thesis of Torah. The world is ripe with quasi-Jews looking for a place to socialize. This is partly due to how popular the Tanach is and literacy. Consider how many people support Israel and how unpopular Christian fundamentalism is in the highly educated North East. Many people not classified as Jews are hungry for a religion that is both about a Jewish G-d and contains the ethic of the Law of Moses. I believe if such a religion were started, then it could last the test of time even if members never officially converted to Judaism because in my experience it is not the Tanach holding people back, but it is Jewish culture that seems a little scary. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, MA


Why would anyone want to convert?
As the number of laws given in the Torah increases, the average life expectancy of a patriarch goes down. And, before you get on your high horse and knock the age of people like Methusaleh or Serug as being mystical or something like that, understand that there are people that today live to be the ages of the patriarchs in the Bible and especially how absurd this would probably seem to someone living in the Dark Ages whose life expectancy was only 25. That the ages we attain in modernity are possible is yet another example (like the technological revolution) that we are sampling the soup prior to the age of Mosiach. In fact, I read the other day that a baby born today has a 50% chance of living to be 100yrs old. That is to the person in the Middle/Dark ages the ages we attain now would have seemed as mystical to them as the ages given when reading the Bible. 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, M
J. or C
Actually, K is probably the phonetic answer. Craig is a permutation of Korech, or as I have heard it pronounced Koreckh. - See Korah 1917 JPS translation 
Posted By Craig Hamilton, Sandwich, Massachusetts

No comments:

Post a Comment