Monday, January 21, 2013

6th Craig: Of Me and Edom - A Comment Made to Chabad.org on Why Do Rabbis Discourage Conversions? by Aaron Moss

I talked to a very nice laid back Rabbi. I informed him that my ancestry goes back to Edom, as in the Middle Ages Jews referred to the kings of these times as Edom. He was nice and didn’t turn me away. We both agreed that Edom did have righteous men. Without correction I mentioned that the names of people in Torah are like chemical formulas for what these people are like and Zerah is listed among Edom as a chief, while Zerah is also a son of Judah by Tamar. Thus, Zerah is righteous because, "for all your people are righteous (Sanhedrin)." Another example of an Edomite mentioned both as being of Edom and of Israel is Jeush. I would think that the predicted destruction of Edom in the prophets means that those righteous in Edom will either convert (to Judaism) or be slayed.
Craig Hamilton
Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment